Friday, August 22, 2008

180 miles to go!

Just 180 miles to go. We’re almost due north of Hilo. This morning I scanned the deck for flying fish and found one. I’ll likely use it as bait to catch another Rainbow Runner. Joel and I think constantly about making landfall next week. I want a fresh salad and Joel wants a beer. What we don’t want: ANY MORE FISH!


(Our intrepid sailors don't know this yet, nor can they read the blog....but thanks to Kona Brewing company, they will have cold ones awaiting their arrival!)

We’re still catching fish though. Joel is making jerky for his friends in Honolulu. Right now, we’re more interested in the guts than the meat. Ever since finding that Rainbow Runner filled with plastic, we’ve collected 4 more of them and two Mahi Mahi. Of the four little fish, three were 4-5 inches with empty stomachs. The 8-inch Rainbow Runner had plastic in its gut. The Mahi Mahi were empty. We would like to catch one with fish still in it’s stomach, then dissect the stomach contents to see if big fish are eating little fish that eat plastic. And here is the rest of it.

3 comments:

Maki said...

What, you guys don't want any more fish once you get there??? lol. I'm so excited and happy for you guys - you're guys are soooo close! Sooo thrilling!!! Aloha Nui Loa~

Anonymous said...

I have been following your trip daily since you left California. I can't remember how I found you in the first place as it's been a while ago :) but I love what you guys are doing.

The trip combined with the stories, pictures, and short movie clips is a great way to raise awareness about our careless use of plastics.

Anonymous said...

Hey Marcus you've almost made it! Several teachers from my school have been following your adventure as well as Bill and I. You guys are awesome! Enjoy the brewskies in Hilo and hope you will stop at YLMS when you do the bike trip. You are having a BIG impact on the plastics problem.

Maureen Koenig